mercoledì 5 ottobre 2011

Ed Ruscha & Robert Frank - Pita

This photograph taken by Robert Frank titled "Covered Cars" inspired Edward Ruscha (born in 1937), an American artist associated with the Pop Art Movement.  He stated, "Seeing The Americans in a college bookshop was a stunning, ground-trembling experience for me. But I realised this man’s achievement could not be mined or imitated in any way, because he had already done it, sewn it up and gone home. What I was left with was the vapours of his talent. I had to make my own kind of art. But wow! The Americans!  Robert Frank’s landscape covers all of America. Whereas my so-called mapping of space – from the early swimming-pool series to the City Grid works – probably comes out of my interest in Los Angeles and seeing it from above, as if from an airplane, to give oblique visions of the city."

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento